- Dish type
- Side dish
- Vegetable side dishes
Celery braised in chicken stock. A simple but flavourful side dish I often serve with roasted meats.
182 people made this
- 1 bunch celery, cleaned and cut into 10cm (4 in) pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 225ml (8 fl oz) chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
MethodPrep:5min ›Cook:30min ›Ready in:35min
- Arrange the celery in a single layer on the bottom of a large frying pan. Season with salt and pepper. Dot with butter. Pour the stock over the celery.
- Cover pan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(53)
Reviews in English (43)
I really liked this, nice and easy too-12 Jan 2014
by Monica Schenk
This side dish was easy to make and flavorful, the only thing I suggest is to completely omit the salt since the chicken broth already contain plenty of sodium. Mine came to salty because of that(and I used very little salt).-22 Sep 2009
One day while I was cutting up some celery for my kids snack I realized that no one ever serves celery cooked for a side dish. I was curious and began looking for a recipe to try and was lucky enough to discover this one. I made it for my husband and me to go with our dinner that night and it was WONDERFUL. The celery was so tender and flavorful even my husband RAVED about it (and I was a little leary serving it to him to begin with). I know the thought of braised celery doesn't sound very exciting, but try it when you are in the mood for something different! It's delicous. I wish there were more than 5 stars!-25 Feb 2003