We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Meat and poultry
Annatto oil is made from annatto (or achiote) seed, a pungent Caribbean spice that imparts an orange colour to this whole roast pig. You can purchace annatto seeds online or in specialty shops.
1 person made this
- 475ml vegetable oil
- 100g achiote (annatto) seeds
- 24 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 200g salt
- 125ml sour orange juice
- 1 whole (11kg) suckling pig, dressed
- 16 cloves chopped garlic
- 16 peppercorns
- 12 fresh jalapeno or green chillies, seeded
- 500ml extra virgin olive oil
- 250ml white vinegar
- 250ml lime juice
- 2 tablespoons salt
MethodPrep:1hr ›Cook:7hr ›Extra time:8hr marinating › Ready in:16hr
- Annatto oil: In a small saucepan, heat oil over low heat. Stir in annatto seeds, and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool, and strain it before use, removing the seeds.
- In a large mortar, crush 24 cloves garlic with oregano and 200g salt. Stir in the orange juice. Set aside.
- Make deep cuts in the pig on the neck, just under the lower jaw, on the loin, legs, shoulders and ribs. Rub the seasoned orange juice into the cuts, as well as all over the skin, and in the cavity of the pig. Cover the pig with muslin and refrigerate overnight.
- Build an open charcoal fire over a bed of stones. Hot coals may need to be added during the long cooking period. Place two Y-shaped posts on either end of the fire.
- Pass a smooth pole through the body of the pig. Tie the front legs tightly around the pole. Do the same with the hind legs, stretching them as far as possible. Resting the ends of the pole on the Y posts, place the pig over hot coals. Rotate the pole constantly and slowly in order to cook the pig evenly, and baste it frequently with the annatto oil. Roast the pig for about seven hours, or until a meat thermometer stuck into the thickest part of the thigh reaches 75 degrees C. Carve.
- Meanwhile, prepare the garlic sauce by first crushing the remaining 16 cloves garlic, the 16 peppercorns and the fresh chillies in a mortar. Transfer mixture to a small bowl. Stir in olive oil, vinegar, lime juice and 2 tablespoons salt. Serve with carved meat.
Check out our BBQ how-to guides and videos for easy tips on how to BBQ to perfection!
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(3)
Reviews in English (2)
by parsley plasterwater
couldn't find a pig at the supermarket so i used my dog instead lol. my kids loved it, family loved it, i loved it, loved it, loved live in it, youngestdaugter died & posioned from it but i treat it better good he, he. i reccomend dog spitrost for any dog lover becuse fulfiil dog love and #doglover thanks an.d.-18 Mar 2017